I love to make this soup in the fall when all the pumpkins and squashes are suddenly appearing in the stores, but yesterday I invited my ladies over for dinner and couldn’t decide what to serve. I ended up with this lovely Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (which I prepared the day before) and the Quinoa Kale Salad. Some Acme Bread, Cowgirl Creamery Cheese and Napa Wine on top (support local food!) and wonderful company made the evening just perfect.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
1 Butternut Squash (medium size)
A bunch of fresh Garlic Cloves
1 big or 2 small onions
1 Red Chili or Red Chili Flakes
4 cups Vegetable Stock
1 can Coconut Milk
Salt and Pepper
1. Heat the oven to 400F/200C.
2. Cut the Butternut Squash in half lengthwise and scope out the seeds. Cut into approximately 1 inch/2 cm thick slices (keep the skin on) and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle some olive oil, salt and pepper on top and roast in the oven until tender and lightly browned (appr. 50 min). Halfway, turn the slices and also add some unpeeled garlic cloves (I use 5-10 cloves!!) and let them roast together with the squash.
3. Dice the onion, carrots and chili pepper into medium size pieces. Saute in a heated pan with some oil, until soft but not browned. Add the Vegetable Stock and boil on low heat for 15-20 min.
3. When the Butternut Squash and Garlic Cloves are ready, remove the skin and add the meat to the soup. Boil for another 5 minutes and then use a blender/food processor to blend smooth.
4. Add Coconut Milk and Salt and Pepper to taste.
5. Optional: Garnish with sprouts, pumpkin seeds, parsley, chives or try to add pieces of goat cheese.
Until next time: Listen to Your Body, and Stay Strong!
Connect with me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.